Herbed Pork Apple And Butternut Stew
How are all of your fall recipes coming? If you live in a cool weather area, you might be loving the soups and stews right about now. Pairing them with those great fall vegetables is perfect!
Check out this nice fall stew recipe.
2 Tbsp butter or oil
1 1/2 lbs. lean pork roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 tsp sage, rubbed
1 bay leaf
3 cups cubed butternut squash
2 apples, cored and cubed
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- Heat the butter or oil in a large heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Carefully set pork roast in and cook, turning until all sides are browned.
- Stir in the onion and continue to cook until the onion has softened and the pork is no longer pink, about 5 minutes; stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Pour in the broth, add the salt, rosemary, sage, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Uncover and add into the Dutch oven the squash, apples, potatoes, and carrots.
- Return to a simmer, then set lid on tipped slightly, and cook gently until the added vegetables are fork tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve hot, spooning stew into heavy shallow bowls.
Makes 6 to 8 servings. Enjoy!